NoTF organizes and facilitates ten to twelve on-site youth heart screenings per school year. Offered to all students ages 14-24 regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, and socio-economic status. Our screening model is being used nationwide as the “gold standard” for community-based screening programs.
Fact: SCA is the leading cause of death in exercising young athletes, happening every 2 days in the US. Most have hidden cardiac abnormalities with no warning signs until suffering an SCA.
Is your child’s heart healthy? Is a simple well-child checkup or sport physical enough?
One high school-aged athlete suffers a Sudden Cardiac Arrest every three days in the U.S. The leading cause of death in young athletes on the playing field is an undetected heart condition. The best way to detect these heart conditions is through a heart screening using an ECG (Electrocardiogram) and in some cases an Echocardiogram (ultrasound) of the heart.
Nick of Time Foundation in partnership with the University of Washington Medicine and UW Center For Sports Cardiology conduct ON-SITE heart screenings for adolescents and young adults ages 14-24. Screenings consist of a Heart Health Survey asking about possible signs & symptoms or family history of a heart condition. An ECG is performed that analyzes the electrical signals of the heart and in some cases, a limited physical exam or Echocardiogram of the heart is conducted. The results are reviewed on site by cardiologists and sports physicians experienced in ECG youth heart screens.
2018-2019 Screening Dates and Locations
- Oct. 3, 2018 NoTF Express- Northwest School- Seattle
- Oct. 24, 2018 NoTF Express- Bear Creek School- Redmond
- Nov. 7, 2018 Arlington High School- Arlington SD
- Dec. 5, 2018 Bishop Blanchet High School- Seattle
- Feb. 6, 2019 Federal Way High School- Federal Way SD
- Mar. 6, 2019 Sammamish High School- Bellevue SD
- Apr. 3, 2019 Hazen High School- Renton SD
- May. 1, 2109 Lakeside School- Seattle